Winter can be a magical season with all the snow and ice, but it can also be a nuisance when it comes to clearing it off of driveways and walkways. Luckily, there are best electric snow blowers that can make the job a lot easier.
In this article, we will discuss the benefits of best electric snow blowers, the different types available, factors to consider when choosing one, top-rated electric snow blowers, and frequently asked questions.
Benefits of Electric Snow Blowers
Electric snow blowers have a number of benefits over their gas-powered counterparts:
- Environmentally-friendly: Electric snow blowers don’t produce any emissions, making them better for the environment.
- Easy to use: Electric snow blowers are typically lighter and easier to maneuver than gas-powered models.
- Lower maintenance costs: Electric snow blowers require less maintenance than gas-powered models, as there is no need to change the oil or spark plugs.
- Quieter operation: Electric snow blowers are much quieter than gas-powered models, making them ideal for use in residential areas.
- No need for gas or oil: Electric snow blowers are powered by electricity, so there’s no need to store or handle gas or oil.
Types of Electric Snow Blowers
There are four main types of electric snow blowers:
- Corded Electric Snow Blowers: These models are powered by an electrical cord and are best for smaller areas that are close to a power source.
- Cordless Electric Snow Blowers: These models are battery-powered and provide more freedom of movement than corded models.
- Three-Stage Electric Snow Blowers: These models are the most powerful and can handle heavy snowfalls, but they are also the most expensive.
- Single-Stage Electric Snow Blowers: These models are the least expensive and are best for lighter snowfalls.
Factors to Consider When Choosing an Electric Snow Blower
When choosing an electric snow blower, there are several factors to consider:
- Power: The power of the snow blower is measured in amps. The higher the amps, the more powerful the snow blower.
- Clearing Width: The clearing width is the width of the snow blower’s intake. A wider intake means you can clear more snow in less time.
- Clearing Depth: The clearing depth is the maximum depth of snow that the snow blower can handle.
- Weight: The weight of the snow blower is important if you need to carry it up stairs or load it into a vehicle.
- Corded vs. Cordless: Corded snow blowers have unlimited run time, but are limited by the length of the electrical cord. Cordless snow blowers have a limited run time, but provide more freedom of movement.
- Price: Electric snow blowers range in price from less than $100 to over $1,000. Consider your budget when choosing a model.
- Additional Features: Some electric snow blowers come with additional features like LED lights, heated hand grips, and adjustable chutes.
Best Electric Snow Blowers
Here are our top picks for electric snow blowers in 2023:
1. Snow Joe iON100V-21SB-CT 100-Volt iONPRO Cordless Brushless Variable Speed Single Stage Snowblower Kit – This cordless electric snow blower offers a powerful and efficient performance, with up to 30 minutes of runtime on a single charge. It features a 21-inch clearing width and a 180-degree auto-rotate chute.
2. Greenworks PRO 80V 20-Inch Cordless Snow Thrower – This cordless electric snow blower offers a brushless motor for efficient and powerful performance. It has a 20-inch clearing width and can handle snow up to 10 inches deep. It also features a 180-degree rotating chute and a dual LED headlight.
3. EGO Power+ SNT2100 21-Inch 56-Volt Cordless Snow Blower – This cordless electric snow blower offers a powerful and efficient performance, with up to 45 minutes of runtime on a single charge. It has a 21-inch clearing width and can handle snow up to 10 inches deep. It also features a 35-foot throwing distance and a quick-fold handle for easy storage.
4. Toro 1800 Power Curve Electric Snow Blower – This corded electric snow blower is compact and easy to maneuver, making it ideal for smaller driveways and walkways. It has a 15-inch clearing width and can handle snow up to 12 inches deep. It also features a 160-degree adjustable chute and a power curve technology that helps to move snow more efficiently.
5. Ryobi RY40860 21 in. 40-Volt Brushless Cordless Electric Snow Blower – This cordless electric snow blower offers a powerful and efficient performance, with up to 40 minutes of runtime on a single charge. It has a 21-inch clearing width and can handle snow up to 10 inches deep. It also features a 180-degree adjustable chute and LED headlights for improved visibility.
These are just a few of the top electric snow blowers on the market in 2023. Remember to consider your specific needs and budget when selecting the best electric snow blower for you.
Pros and Cons of Electric Snow Blowers
Electric snow blowers have several advantages over gas-powered models, including:
- Environmentally Friendly: Electric snow blowers produce no emissions, making them an environmentally friendly choice.
- Quiet: Electric snow blowers are much quieter than gas-powered models, making them ideal for use in residential areas where noise is a concern.
- Low Maintenance: Electric snow blowers require little maintenance, as they have no oil or gas to change, and no spark plugs to replace.
However, electric snow blowers also have some disadvantages, including:
- Limited Power: Electric snow blowers are not as powerful as gas-powered models, making them less suitable for heavy snowfall or wet snow.
- Corded: Electric snow blowers need to be plugged in, which can limit their range and make them less convenient to use.
- Shorter Lifespan: Electric snow blowers may have a shorter lifespan than gas-powered models, as the electric motor can wear out faster.
FAQs About Electric Snow Blowers
Here are some frequently asked questions about electric snow blowers:
How do I start an electric snow blower?
Electric snow blowers start with the push of a button, making them easy to use.
Can I use an electric snow blower on a gravel driveway?
Yes, electric snow blowers can be used on gravel driveways, but they may pick up and throw small stones, so use caution.
Do electric snow blowers require any maintenance?
Electric snow blowers require little maintenance, but you should clean the auger and chute after each use to prevent clogging.
How far can an electric snow blower throw snow?
The throwing distance of an electric snow blower depends on the model, but most can throw snow up to 20 feet.
Can electric snow blowers be used on wet snow?
Electric snow blowers are not as powerful as gas-powered models, so they may struggle with wet, heavy snow.
In conclusion, electric snow blowers are a great investment for anyone who lives in an area with heavy snowfall during the winter months. They are much more convenient, efficient, and environmentally friendly than traditional gas-powered snow blowers. When choosing the best electric snow blower for your needs, consider factors such as the size of your driveway, the amount of snow you typically receive, and your budget.
Be sure to also read reviews and do your research to ensure you choose a high-quality and reliable brand. With the right electric snow blower, you can make snow removal a breeze and enjoy a safer, more comfortable winter season.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this blog post may be affiliate links. This means that if you click on the link and make a purchase, we may receive a commission. Rest assured, we only recommend products or services that we genuinely believe will add value to our readers.